West Gardiner is a town in Kennebec County, incorporated on August 8, 1850 from a portion of Gardiner. It swapped land with Farmingdale (1852, 1853) and annexed some land from Litchfield (1856) to complete its boundaries.
West Gardiner is the site of one of the Maine Turnpike Authority’s service plazas. In addition to the usual fast food providers, the plaza is home to the Center for Maine Craft. The Center features a retail gallery for handcrafted work by Maine artisans; cultural tourism information including craft artists’ studios, commercial galleries, and nonprofit arts organizations; and exhibitions of fine craft sponsored by Maine’s premier craft organizations.
The remains of farm buildings on the Lewiston Road (Route 9/126) recall an earlier time when large farmhouses, barns, and silos dominated the landscape.